The Office of Student Support & Judicial Affairs supports the University's educational mission by upholding standards of academic honesty and responsible behavior, promoting student development, and by assisting students in need.
OSSJA central office staff
Donald J. Dudley, Director
Colette D. Nuño, Assistant Director
Sheila L. Harrington, OSSJA Officer
Jennifer Chow, OSSJA Case Manager
Kerry Burns, OSSJA Case Manager
Shawn Knight, OSSJA Officer
Marilyn Derby, OSSJA Officer
OSSJA Student Housing staff
Courtney Robinson, Assistant Director for Policy and Conduct
To set an appointment with central office staff, please call the OSSJA Office at (530) 752-1128.
To set an appointment with OSSJA Student Housing staff, please call the Student Housing Office of Student Development at (530) 752-1736.
Programs and Functions
I. The Office of Student Support & Judicial Affairs administers the student disciplinary system at UC Davis.
OSSJA staff strives to:
- ensure the just and prompt resolution of alleged misconduct cases, with respect for the rights of accused students, reporting parties, and the campus community;
- uphold the University's standards of excellence in education and promote the ethical, intellectual, and emotional growth and development of students involved in the disciplinary process;
- provide leadership opportunities for students regarding academic integrity and conflict management (the Campus Judicial Board and student peer mediators);
- maintain confidential, central records of conduct cases and issue statistical reports as required to campus, state and federal agencies;
- support and assist in protecting the safety and security of members of the campus community.
II. Student Support & Judicial Affairs upholds student rights, responds to student
grievances, and facilitates student conflict managment and mediation services.
OSSJA staff serves as a resource for informal resolution of student grievances.
- OSSJA provides information, advice, and referrals regarding student rights and grievances including concerns such as arbitrary treatment, free expression, privacy, discrimination, and sexual harassment.
III. Student Support & Judicial Affairs develops, publishes, and distributes educational outreach materials and programs.
Through these efforts, OSSJA works to:
- educate the campus community about student rights, responsiblities and conduct standards;
- promote academic integrity and responsible conduct, and prevent misconduct;
- foster discussion of ethical issues and enhance the commitment of students, staff, and faculty to academic integrity.
OSSJA's educational outreach includes events, presentations, videos, newspaper articles, websites, workshops, and flyers. SJA also researches and applies strategies for promoting academic integrity and responsible student behavior and responds to requests for information, advice, and referrals from faculty, staff, and others.
IV. Student Support & Judicial Affairs coordinates review and development of student-related policies, including:
- reviewing, updating, and implementing the Administration of Student
Discipline (the campus disciplinary procedure manual), as well as campus
policies regarding student privacy and records, discrimination, and others; coordinating campus consultation on student-related
V. Student Support & Judicial Affairs helps coordinate responses to student-related emergencies by:
- providing non-clinical case management services to intervene, monitor and assist students who are in distress
- serving with other key units (Police, Counseling Services, Student Housing and Campus Violence Prevention) on the Students of Concern Response Team, and
- developing, evaluating, and implementing protocols for dangerous situations such as those involving threats (including threats of self-harm), assault, stalking, drug abuse, and/or other crimes or high-risk behaviors.