Services Provided by OSSJA to Assist Faculty:
- OSSJA maintains central records of referrals and discipline so that cases are handled consistently and fairly, and so that repeat offenders can be detected and appropriately sanctioned.
- OSSJA administers the student discipline process to reduce the time and work of making a report to a minimum, reducing the burden on faculty while achieving a fair result.
- OSSJA simplifies the process of reporting suspected academic misconduct -- OSSJA provides a form requiring key information, and reports can be submitted by campus mail, delivery, fax or email
- OSSJA consults with faculty before cases are resolved so that faculty can provide input before any agreement is reached or a sanction is imposed.
- Through the informal process in which students meet with OSSJA staff, most cases are resolved by agreement with the students admitting responsibility and accepting sanctions. Over 95% of academic cases are resolved w/o formal hearing
- OSSJA provides consultation, advice, and support for faculty who have questions or who are reporting cases of suspected misconduct.
- OSSJA provides consultation, advice, and support for faculty who are concerned about a student.
- OSSJA provides educational outreach materials and resources to students and faculty, including the Code of Academic Conduct and other handouts (Avoiding Plagiarism, Unauthorized Collaboration), , "Academic Integrity Survival Kits" delivered to new faculty by CJB students, and presentations, workshops, and orientations for students, faculty & TAs.
- OSSJA offers trained advisors to faculty if a formal hearing is necessary.